Home / News / Eko Bridge closure suspended as FG reviews Lagos traffic concerns

Eko Bridge closure suspended as FG reviews Lagos traffic concerns

The Federal Government has suspended the planned Eko Bridge closure in Lagos following concerns over possible traffic disruptions and commuter hardship. The decision was announced by the Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, after an inspection of the bridge infrastructure. Officials said the temporary suspension of the Eko Bridge closure followed a directive from President Bola Tinubu to reassess the impact on residents and motorists.

Eko Bridge is one of the major transport links connecting Lagos Mainland to Lagos Island. The bridge handles heavy daily traffic from commercial and residential areas including Apapa, Surulere, Ijora, and Lagos Island.

The Federal Government had earlier announced plans to shut parts of the bridge for rehabilitation following structural concerns around damaged sections and cracks detected during technical inspections. Initial closure plans were later rescheduled to May 19 after consultations involving traffic management agencies and the Federal Ministry of Works.

Road rehabilitation projects in Lagos frequently trigger severe traffic congestion because of the city’s dense urban movement and limited alternative transport corridors. Previous bridge repair exercises, including Independence Bridge and Kara Bridge maintenance works, generated widespread commuter complaints and travel delays.

Minister of Works Dave Umahi announced that the government would not proceed with the immediate Eko Bridge closure as earlier planned. He said the decision followed a reassessment ordered by President Tinubu after concerns about hardship on Lagos residents.

According to Umahi, the President instructed the ministry to “take a second look” at the earlier decision to avoid worsening traffic conditions in Lagos. The minister stated that engineers conducted a fresh technical evaluation of the bridge and concluded that immediate closure could be suspended for now.

Umahi explained that current assessments showed no significant progression in the structural crack identified on the bridge. He noted that authorities would continue monitoring the condition closely while implementing temporary remedial measures.

The minister also disclosed that contractors would begin additional piling and reinforcement work expected to last about four months. According to him, the intervention would help stabilise the affected section before larger structural reconstruction begins later.

Traffic management agencies including the Federal Road Safety Corps had earlier prepared diversion plans and public advisories ahead of the proposed shutdown. Alternative routes had already been identified for motorists travelling through the affected corridor.

The suspension of the Eko Bridge closure provides temporary relief for Lagos commuters and businesses heavily dependent on the corridor for daily transportation. The bridge remains one of the city’s busiest economic routes linking ports, markets, and commercial districts.

For businesses, avoiding a full shutdown may reduce immediate logistics delays and transportation costs. Lagos experiences significant economic losses during major road closures because of longer travel times and supply chain disruptions.

For residents, the decision may ease fears of prolonged gridlock similar to previous bridge rehabilitation exercises across the city. However, experts note that long-term structural repairs will still require careful planning and traffic coordination. The development also highlights growing pressure on infrastructure authorities to balance public safety with economic movement in rapidly expanding urban centres like Lagos.

Tagged: